My last road trip through the Midwest concluded on July 17, 2016 at approximately 6:00pm (CST). This one was one of the best road trips I’ve had with quite a few challenges during the 2,800+ mile journey. To date I have traveled to 18 cities/towns in 12 states driving 5,000+ miles in the span of a one-week increment during the month of July in 2014, 2015, and 2016.
When the idea of the Midwest Artist Studios Project came about inside my art classroom at Sheboygan North High School back in February of 2014 I never imagined where this would take me as an art educator and how it would change my personal/professional life. I knew that this journey was ambitious so I was fortunate to have worked with such an amazing and dedicated team; Erika Block (writer/editor), Pat Ryan (photographer), and Jonathan Fritsch (assistant). They were there from the beginning to the end no matter how crazy this idea was. This is an experience that I will cherish for a lifetime. I am truly blessed to have them in my life.
The MAS Project aims to connect art education with Midwest contemporary artists through studio visits, curriculum development, and opportunities for educator outreach.
I still have a lot of work ahead of me, but I wanted to take this opportunity to thank the following artists and arts professionals I met since 2014.
- MAS artist, Josh Wilichowski, North St. Paul, MN
- MAS artist, Vincenzio Donatelle, Minneapolis, MN
- MAS artist, Jane Ryder, Oskaloosa, IA
- MAS artist, Jamie Bates Slone, Kansas City, MO
- MAS artist, Catie Miller, Kansas City, MO
- MAS artist, Todd Mrozinski, Milwaukee, WI
- MAS artist, Josie Osborne, Milwaukee, WI
- MAS artist, Paula Schulze, Shorewood, WI
- MAS artist, Suzanne Torres, Madison, WI
- MAS artist, Mellissa Redman, Grand Rapids, MI
- MAS artist, Kate Robertson, Ann Arbor, MI
- MAS artist, Jenniffer Omaitz, Kent, OH
- MAS artist, Ellie Honl, Bloomington, IN
- MAS artist, Jessica Anderson, Jacksonville, IL
- MAS artist, Jason Ackman, Rushville, IL
- MAS artist, Krista Svalbonas, Chicago, IL
- MAS artist, Emmy Lingscheit, Urbana, IL
- MAS artist, Karri Dieken, Valley City, ND
- MAS artist, Sharon Grey, Rapid City, SD
- MAS artist, Jody Boyer, Omaha, NE
- MAS artist, Lori Elliott-Bartle, Omaha, NE
- MAS artist, Rachel Mindrup, Omaha, NE
- MAS artist, Joe Bussell, Kansas City, KS
- MAS artist, Larry Thomas, Kansas City, KS
- Consuelo Cruz, Belger Arts Center, Kansas City, MO
- Maria Vasquez Boyd, Artspeak Radio, Kansas City, MO
- Marissa Starke, Kansas City Artists Coalition, Kansas City, MO
- Beverly Ahern, H & R Block Artspace, Kansas City, MO
This project was supported by a grant from the Kohler Foundation, Inc (2014-2016).
This video is about MAS 2016 artists sharing their thoughts on being our featured artists. Running time: 10:55.
MAS 2016 Gallery
Click here to view our photos from the road.
Get your copy today of the 2014 & 2015 MAS Catalog/Workbook by clicking here.